Cosmetics, Personal and Household Care, Preservative Efficacy Testing
BluTest Laboratories has extensive expertise in efficacy testing products in the Cosmetics, Personal and Household Care industries. Whether you are refining product formulations, investigating a contamination issue or simply validating the preservative in your products, we can help!
BluTest offers a range of tests for cosmetic products including preservative efficacy tests (PETs) also known as preservative challenge tests that are designed to evaluate the stability of your product to microbiological contamination.
• Bio-burden Assessment – Also known as Total Viable Count (TVC), Total Yeast and Mould Count (TYAMC).
o These tests determine the total number of bacteria, yeast and mould present. If working on positive release please advise us of your specifications. This type of analysis can be quantitative or semi-quantitative depending on your requirements.
o This assessment is a mandatory step prior to conducting a Preservative Efficacy Test (PET).
o This analysis can provide you with the peace of mind that the finished article is microbiologically free from contamination and aid in the identification of potential problems early.
• Pathogen or Specific Organism Isolation –Also known as Test for Specific Micro-organisms (TSM).
o In addition to bioburden we can go a step further and isolate pathogens or specific organisms of interest in your product on a presence/absence basis or to your specifications.
o Micro-organisms that can be isolated are MRSA, Stapylococcus aureus, E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Candida albicans and many more.
• Contaminant Identification – Also known as micro-organism identification.
o We use both traditional and rapid techniques, such a 16S, 28S and MLST to identify the specific organism strain(s) that have been grown from the bio-burden assessment.
o We can use the contaminants found as additional organisms to challenge your product as part of the PET, tailoring the analysis specific for your product and manufacturing facilities.
• Environmental Monitoring and Risk Analysis
o Whether you would like a full scale investigation or a do it yourself kit, we can cater for all cases.
o We can provide the expertise to monitor your facility for microbial cleanliness, investigate the source of a contamination issue or perform risk analysis and audit the facility to reduce the risk of contamination.
Preservative Efficacy Testing – Also known as PET, antimicrobial efficacy test, challenge test.
o We carry out PET screens to provide useful data for formulations and products in development.
• PET Screen methodology based on ISO 11930 - Cosmetics -- Microbiology -- Evaluation of the antimicrobial protection of a cosmetic product a shortened version to provide an indication on performance.
o Ideal for gaining valuable product development data or to screen different product formulations.
• Standard PET according to ISO 11930 - Cosmetics -- Microbiology -- Evaluation of the antimicrobial protection of a cosmetic product
o EP, BP and USP can also be performed.
• Bespoke PET, using the ISO 11930 as a framework we can tailor the analysis specifically to your product and manufacturing facilities by adding additional spoilage and pathogenic organisms of interest to you, increasing incubation duration, additional challenge steps, we work with you and design around your needs and specifications.
• Method Validation
o We can carry out feasibility studies on your own in-house methods or rapid technologies against the recognised standards to compare suitability.
If you would like to know more about Preservatives and Preservative Efficacy testing, please read our news article “Preservative Efficacy Testing”.
To organise testing or to design a test package to suit you, contact BluTest today!
For an instant quote ask for our cosmetic test package!